Job Opportunity: Director for Communications and Marketing
The Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD) was established in 1933 by the National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences. The goals of SRCD are to advance interdisciplinary research in child development and to foster the dissemination and application of research findings. Its membership of more than 5,700 scientists is representative of the various disciplines and professions that contribute to knowledge about child development. SRCD publishes several journals, including the premier journal in the field, Child Development. It hosts a biennial meeting, off-year special topic meetings, institutes, and workshops and supports a vibrant Policy Fellows program with both Federal and State placements.
SRCD is seeking a Director for Communications and Marketing to implement, manage and evaluate the communication efforts of the Society. The Director for Communications and Marketing will work alongside the Society’s leadership, including the scientific affairs, policy, meetings, and membership management teams, to develop and implement vibrant new integrated communication and marketing plan, to strengthen both dissemination of information among society members and media awareness of the research activities of the Society and its members.
The position requires an individual who can balance strategic thinking with tactical implementation while managing a team and coordinating with others. The Director for Communications and Marketing will support member engagement activities (e.g., posting information of interest, highlighting Society initiatives and member opportunities) and coordinate external communications (e.g., media relations, public relations, event publicity), and should have an interest in promoting research on an infant, child, and adolescent development.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the development and implementation of SRCD’s integrated communications and marketing plan
- Manage a communications team of two staff members and assess the team through ongoing performance management
- Work with the Executive Director to establish goals/metrics, monitor benchmarks, and report on efforts to foster both member and public engagement
- Coordinate with scientific affairs and policy teams to identify and develop content for dissemination to members, press, and policymakers
- Manage the dissemination of messages to ensure they are coherent, consistent, and effective
- Oversee maintenance of platforms for information dissemination within the membership across career stages
- Supervise media relations staff who build and develop long-term working relationships with targeted journalists and communications partners, as well as respond to media requests and train member researchers to interact with media and facilitate interviews as needed
- Identify and shape timely opportunities that leverage SRCD into the national spotlight
- Innovate using the latest technologies, trends, and best practices in social/traditional media outreach
- Optimize biennial and other event marketing to target segments of the developmental science community
- Review and approve media-related materials, including ghostwritten articles for leadership
- Regularly consider latest trends and creative ideas from the team and leverage their skill sets
Qualifications and Skills
- Master’s degree in communications or related field strongly preferred
- Minimum ten years of experience in strategic marketing, communications, public relations, or related field
- Experience and interest in developmental science research
- Firm understanding of social media and digital marketing
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Ability to contribute to a strong team-based environment
- Familiarity with Cision and other media monitoring tools and resources
- Objective-oriented with attention to detail and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Experience creating, segmenting, and optimizing content across relevant channels to audiences
- Experience promoting scholarly research to target audiences
- Experience working with international media markets preferred
To apply, send your resume and a cover letter that summarizes your interest and qualifications for this position. Email your application to email@example.com, with “Director for Communications and Marketing” in the subject line.