Job Opportunity: Director of Meetings & Events
The Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD) seeks a Director of Meetings & Events to contribute to the development of organizational events strategy, help mentor and grow event team members, and help continue strengthening and scaling SRCD’s overall efforts to create best-in-class events-related programming that advances SRCD’s mission. The Director of Meetings & Events will also be responsible for event preparation, planning, and on-site execution of multiple events. This includes driving strategic content for key portions of SRCD’s Biennial Meeting, one of the largest events for the developmental science community, with over 7,000 attendees.
The successful candidate will also maximize outcomes across the organization that create industry-leading educational programs and virtual meeting and learning experiences. This individual will be an entrepreneurial, experienced events professional, able to manage an event from concept to completion, with an interest in helping advance SRCD’s mission.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy & Relationship Building
- Communicate strategic goals for SRCD events in a highly professional and diplomatic manner.
- Work across internal and external teams to collaborate and build strong partnerships for annual and long-term goals.
- Ensure the highest level of customer service to reflect SRCD’s brand to both internal and external customers.
- Consistently look for opportunities to strengthen event team processes and procedures and make future events more effective.
- Serve as the main point of contact for high-level stakeholders involved in SRCD events (Biennial Program Chairs, Keynote Speakers, etc.)
- Ensure meeting and event programming is consistent with SRCD’s strategic goals, policies, and procedures.
General Meetings & Events Management
- Create ways to improve efficiencies within meeting operations and look for ways to enhance members’ experiences.
- Develop, plan, and manage the RFP/bidding process and provide complete analysis of future meeting locations, including meeting facilities, audiovisual and decorator vendors, housing, security, sign language interpreters, mobile app, and registration services for the Biennial and Special Topic Meetings.
- Develop and monitor meeting revenue and expense budgets to ensure actual expenditures stay within targeted budget allocations.
- Accurately project meeting expenses for budgetary planning.
- In collaboration with the meetings and event staff, design, test, and develop registration website, review, establish and implement policies, procedures, and guidelines for registration services.
- Oversee all aspects of on-site execution, including staffing, food and beverage, audiovisual equipment, electrical, internet, on-site registration equipment, room setup, meeting rooms management, problem-solving on site, and move-in/move-out coordination with convention centers and/or hotels.
- Oversee program submissions and review processes and recommend vendor selections as needed, including virtual platforms.
- Schedule and assign meeting rooms for all educational and plenary sessions, preconferences, invited sessions, affiliate meeting space requests, and luncheons, receptions, and business meetings during the event.
- Oversee and participate in all preplanning site visits
- Oversee the Special Events and Exhibits Manager who manages logistical needs for the SRCD conferences and in-office meetings.
- Review all vendor billing and payments for audiovisual services, hotel and/or meeting site, decorating company, electrical, internet, registration and housing; resolve discrepancies and assign accounting codes.
- Negotiate third-party contracts.
- In collaboration with Executive Director and Director of Communications, develop the SRCD crisis management plan.
- Manage and monitor multiple hotel room blocks; develop online housing reservations and policies; create VIP, vendor, and staff rooming lists.
- Assist meetings and events staff and communication team with the development of graphics, branding, and signage for venues; oversee draft and approval processes with decorator.
- Collaborate with the meetings and events staff and communications team on the SRCD website, mobile applications, and print materials related to conferences.
- Supervise, mentor, and serve as a leading authority to staff involved in the meetings management and exhibit sales functions.
- Collaborate with staff regarding exhibitor registration module development, testing, and problem-solving.
- Work collaboratively with the communications team to create and produce all messages about SRCD events.
- Manage and create content for the SRCD event website including registration pages, categories, rates, policies, transportation, and hotel information tab.
- Collaborate across teams to produce SRCD webinars.
- Assist with other meetings and events as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS REQUIRED
- A bachelor’s degree or an advanced business degree
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in meetings and exhibits planning, including project management, business planning, and integration of technology on strategic and tactical levels; experience leading meetings for an association strongly preferred
- Certified Meeting Professional and Digital Events Strategist certifications preferred
- Experience managing large vendor contracts concurrently
- Supervisory and staff development experience
- Knowledge of exhibit, sponsorship, and advertising sales
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking, writing, active listening, and synthesizing information from diverse sources when working with colleagues, members, and volunteers
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Strong proven leadership skills among staff and management; ability to engage effectively with senior professionals (internal and external business partners)
- Strong budget management skills
- A strong ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects effectively, and problem-solve in time-sensitive situations.
- Stellar interpersonal skills and ability to cultivate an atmosphere of collaboration, integrity, trust, diversity, and respect
- Commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all SRCD event-related policies, processes, and practices
- Ability to solve problems with good judgment and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to efficiently manage time, meet schedules/deadlines, and handle multiple assignments simultaneously
- Computer proficient and adept at learning new software
- Working knowledge of ADA and other relevant policies to support an inclusive, welcoming environment at all meetings and events
This is a full-time position based in SRCD headquarters (Washington, DC). The position will require the ability to travel up to 25%.
This position is primarily sedentary and is performed in an office setting. The physical demands of this position revolve around event delivery, which includes moving items weighing up to 20 lbs, and surveying event services throughout the venue (often large conference space). Position requires ability to communicate effectively and the ability to use computers, telephones, and other office equipment. Periodic out-of-town travel is also required, as well as attendance at and/or support of meetings and events outside normal working hours, which may include evenings and/or weekends. To be qualified, an individual must have the requisite skills, experience, and education for the job and must also be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
The Society for Research in Child Development is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability.