SRCD Privacy Principles
- We are deeply committed to creating a secure online environment for you.
- We strive to provide you with access to and control over the information you give us, and we take the protection of your information very seriously.
- We do not display advertising on SRCD sites, other than promotional material related to SRCD publications or events.
Table of Contents
- What information do we collect?
- How we use the information we collect
- How we share or transfer data
- Marketing and Sponsored Content
- Third Parties and Online Advertising
- Your choice and options relating to data collection and use
- How to access, update, or delete your personal information
- Our approach to Data Security
- Non-U.S.-based Users
- European Union Data Protection
- Links to other sites
- Contacting SRCD
1. What information do we collect?
We take the information you provide to us very seriously, and we strive to put you in control of decisions around your information.
You can use some of the features of our sites without registering for an account or providing any other personal information. If you do create an account on an SRCD platform, or communicate with SRCD, you may be asked to provide what is generally called “Personal Information” or “Personal Data,” such as your full name, email address or other information that can be used to identify you.
We collect information, including personal information, in a variety of ways which may vary according to your use of the platforms and their respective purposes. The categories of personal information we collect may include:
- Contact and profile information
- Account and authentication information from third-party integrated platforms
- Location information
- Demographic information (including gender, race, ethnicity)
- Level of education, specialty areas, and areas of focus
- Information about your browser or device
- Donation and applicant data
- Non-personal professional information which may be linked to your Personal Information (such as type of degree or specialty area).
Below, we describe examples of the categories of information we collect from and about you when you use our Platforms:
Information you provide to us and information we receive about you from others
Contact and profile information.
When you create an account on the SRCD Platforms, or communicate with us, we may collect personal information including your name and email address. After you register, you may also be asked to provide additional information in your profile, such as your location (city and country) and other personal or demographic information. In addition, we may ask you for personal information at other times, such as when you submit a proposal to a conference, apply for an award, complete a user survey, or otherwise communicate with SRCD.
Information we collect to enable your participation in special programs or features.
From time to time, SRCD may feature a special program or activity offered in partnership with a third party. If you participate in these special programs, SRCD may collect personal information from you to facilitate those programs. For example, we will provide mailing addresses to our publisher (Wiley) for members who request hardcopy versions of journals.
Information about how you access and use the Platforms
Information about your use of our Platforms.
We may collect general usage information about your use of our Platforms, such as the amount of time a user has spent on a site.
We may collect information about your location (such as your country) or infer your approximate location based on your IP address, but we don’t collect the precise geolocation of you or your device. You may be able to change the settings on your computer or mobile device to prevent it from providing us with any location information.
Donation and applicant information.
If you donate to SRCD, we may obtain your name and mailing address for our records, or if you apply for a job with SRCD via an online recruiting site, we will obtain the information you provide in your application for that purpose.
Usage and device information.
To provide a personalized and high-quality experience for our users, we may use various technologies that automatically record certain technical information from your browser or device when you visit our website, read our emails, use our Platforms or otherwise engage with us. This information is typically collected through a variety of tracking technologies, including cookies, web beacons, log files, and similar technology (collectively, “tracking technologies”). These tracking technologies collect information about how you use the Platforms (e.g., the pages you view, the links you click, and other actions you take on the Platforms), information about your browser and online usage patterns (e.g., Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, browser language, referring / exit pages and URLs, pages viewed, whether you opened an email, links clicked), and information about the device(s) you use to access the Platforms. We may collect analytics data, or use third-party analytics tools such as Google Analytics, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Sites and to understand more about the demographics of our users. You can learn more about Google’s practices at http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners, and view its currently available opt-out options at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
We use or may use the data collected through tracking technologies to better display our website, to save you time, and to track website usage. For example, cookies help us to:
- Keep track of whether you are signed in or have previously signed in so that we can display all the features that are available to you.
- Remember your settings on the pages you visit, so that we can display your preferred content the next time you visit.
- Track website usage for various purposes including analysis of content usage and other metrics.
Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies, but you can reset your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some features and Platforms (particularly those that require you to sign-in) may not function properly if your cookies are disabled. You may also set your email options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether you have accessed our email and performed certain functions with it.
Deleting cookies does not delete Local Storage Objects (LSOs) such as Flash objects and HTML5. You can learn more about Flash objects - including how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies – on Adobe’s website or by clicking here. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs. Please consult your browser’s “Help” function to learn more. If you choose to delete Flash objects from our sites, then you may not be able to access and use all or part of the sites or benefit from the information and Platforms offered.
2. How we use the information we collect
SRCD uses this information in the following ways:
To provide and enhance our Platforms.
SRCD uses the information you provide (or that we collect) to operate, maintain, and enhance the features of our Platforms.
To personalize your experience.
We use the information to personalize your experience while using the Platforms, including on devices you may use to access the Platforms.
To communicate with you.
We use your information to communicate with you about your account and respond to inquiries. We may also use your Personal Information to provide you with information about SRCD’s features, services, and other offerings that may be of interest to you.
To understand, improve, and develop our services.
SRCD uses the information that you provide or that we collect from users to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our users. We may also use information to maintain, develop, support and improve our Platforms and services.
To enable your participation in SRCD partnership arrangements.
We use your information to enable your participation in programs or features we may offer in partnership with third parties, to the extent you wish to participate in such programs.
For personal data subject to the European Union General Data Processing Regulations (“GDPR”), we rely on several legal bases to process the data. These legal bases include where:
- The processing is necessary to perform our obligations with you;
- You have given your prior consent, which you may withdraw at any time (such as for marketing purposes or other purposes for which we obtain your consent from time to time);
- The processing is necessary to comply with a legal obligation, a court order or to exercise or defend legal claims;
- The processing is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests, such as in improving, personalizing, and developing the services, marketing the services, such as new features that may be of interest, and security as described above.
If you have any questions about or would like further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided at the end of this document.
3. How we share or transfer data
SRCD takes great care to protect the information you provide us. We do not rent or sell Personal Information that we collect from users with third parties.
SRCD will disclose personal information when you post content which is visible to others on the Platforms, when you consent or instruct us to share your personal information with third parties (e.g., hotels when you make reservations through our conference site), or when we have a legitimate business or legal need to share your information. We may also disclose anonymous or aggregate information that does not reasonably identify you as an individual. To learn more, see additional description below.
When information is visible to others on the Platforms by default.
Certain features and functions of the Platforms share or make your information accessible to others. As with most online Platforms, once you make your Personal Information available to others online, it may be collected and used by the recipients without restriction. For example, your personal information may be visible to others in the following circumstances:
- Information you post to public spaces of the Platforms. When you post a question, comment, or answer to the Platforms, your profile, which could include your name, short biography, and city-level location, as well as the content of your posted comment, is visible to others on the Platforms.
With your consent or according to your instructions.
- We may share data with third-party applications that you authorize. Third-party application developers and Platforms providers (commonly known as “App Developers”) may build services for our platform, such as a mobile application for those who are visually-impaired to access our resources. If you connect your SRCD account to an application or service or approve access to your SRCD account by a third party application or service, you consent to SRCD sharing your information with that third party.
- We may share data in connection with programs you participate in. If you participate in programs where SRCD partners with third parties or uses a third-party application, SRCD may share data collected from or about you with its third party partners to facilitate the program or services being offered. For instance, if you register for our biennial conference, SRCD utilizes the services of an event planning company. These program partners may use your information we share with them as described in their own privacy policies.
- We may share information with your consent. SRCD does not share your Personal Information with third-party organizations for their marketing or promotional use without your consent. In some instances, you may be able to grant us permission to share your Personal Information with authorized partners, not-for-profit organizations, and other entities that are not affiliated with SRCD. In these cases, we will only provide to these third parties the information you have authorized or asked us to share to these third parties. You may also choose to share content with others by email, or by posting SRCD content to social media sites such as Facebook or Twitter. These third parties may use your information as described in their own privacy policies.
We may share anonymous or aggregate data with others.
We may use data which has been de-identified and/or aggregated for product development, research, analytics and other purposes, including for the purpose of analyzing, improving, or marketing SRCD services. In certain occasions, SRCD may share this data with business partners to improve our offerings. If we disclose information to authorized business partners to conduct research, such data will be aggregated and/or anonymized to reasonably avoid identification of a specific individual. The latter is collected and used to assist in understanding the usage, viewing, and demographic patterns for certain programs, content, services, promotions, and/or functionality on our sites/platforms.
Other instances where we may share or disclose information for legal or business purposes.
- We will share data with employees and service providers. SRCD may share information with our employees and trusted vendors, third party service providers and other individuals who provide services or products for us or on our behalf, which could include analytics, hosting, marketing and/or similar. When we share personal information with third party service providers or vendors, these third parties are contractually obligated to maintain the security and confidentiality of that personal information.
- Other instances. SRCD may release Personal Information if we have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation, or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request; (b) enforce applicable Terms of Services, including investigation of potential violations thereof; (c) investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations; (d) detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues; (e) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of SRCD, our users, or the public; or (f) as required or permitted by law.
4. Marketing and Sponsored Content
Messages from SRCD.
We may, from time to time, send you email regarding SRCD materials and services, or other child development related messages we think would be of interest. You can unsubscribe from these mailings at any time. See Section 6 below.
SRCD does not display any third party advertisements on the Platforms. From time to time, we permit third parties to sponsor content displayed on our Platforms. For example, a funder, publisher, or university may wish to sponsor content related to a particular developmental topic. Sponsored content will always be labeled (e.g., “Sponsored by ___”). SRCD does not share any of our users’ Personal Information with these sponsors without explicit consent, and these sponsors do not have the ability to track or collect information about our site visitors or users.
Please note: From time to time, we may share YouTube video content created by third parties and not by SRCD. While SRCD-created video content does not display video advertisements, third party content may include advertising which we cannot control.
5. Third Parties and Online Advertising
Interest Based Advertising
SRCD uses YouTube to display video content on the Platforms. YouTube incorporates tracking technologies, which may be present in the YouTube videos embedded on the Platforms, which may collect information from your browser when you view the video on the Platforms, including device identifiers and/or cookie IDs. This information is collected directly and automatically by YouTube and its partners, and SRCD does not participate in these data transmissions. SRCD does not provide any Personal Information, such as user names, to YouTube.
SRCD has taken steps to minimize this tracking activity, to the extent we have controls over a third-party’s practices. We have turned on “Privacy-Enhanced Mode” for YouTube videos displayed on our Platforms. YouTube is owned by Google. You can learn more about Google’s practices at http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners. You may also be able to control ad tracking through YouTube by visiting the Google Ad Settings page, currently available at: https://adssettings.google.com.
6. Your choice and options relating to data collection and use
At SRCD, we use Personal Information as needed for the purposes for which it was collected or where you have consented to our use of your Personal Information. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the Personal Information we store and use is accurate, complete, and up-to-date. If you discover that Personal Information or other data pertaining to you is inaccurate, incomplete, or out-of-date, please update your account information or contact us as outlined at the end of this document.
You can choose to not provide us with Personal Information.
You may always decline to provide your Personal Information with SRCD. If you are a member or want to be and decline to provide some Personal Information, SRCD will not be able to provide you with certain features and functionalities found on our Platforms. You may later enable or access those features by providing SRCD with the necessary Personal Information.
You can unsubscribe from email communications.
SRCD may, from time to time, send you email regarding our activities and services that we think would be of interest. Only SRCD (or our vendors or Platforms providers operating on our behalf) will send you these emails. You can choose not to receive these emails by clicking the unsubscribe link in any e-mail or via the My Profile tab in our Member Portal. Please note that you are not permitted to unsubscribe or opt-out of non-promotional messages regarding your account, such as account verification, renewal notices, changes or updates to features of the Platforms, or technical or security notices.
7.How to access, update, or delete your personal information
How to access or update your information.
We want you to have access to the personal information we retain about you, to ensure transparency and so that you can help keep it as accurate as possible. If you register and provide SRCD with Personal Information, you may update, correct, or delete your account and information at any time by reviewing your profile information and preferences by logging in to the “My Profile” tab in our Member Portal.
How to delete your information.
To request deletion of your personal information at any time, please e-mail email@example.com with the subject line: “Delete my Account.” Please note that your information will be retained in backup for up to one week. In the near future, we hope to automate this process so users will be able to delete their personal information themselves.
We may not be able to delete data in all instances, such as information retained in technical support logs and other business records. We will not necessarily delete any information which has been de-identified or disassociated with personal identifiers such that it can no longer be used to reasonably identify a particular individual.
8. Our approach to Data Security
Data security is important to you, and to us.
To protect your privacy and security, we take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you account access or making corrections to your information. For example, we may ask you to provide certain Personal Information to confirm your identity, and we may require that you create and use a password to access certain parts of our Platforms. You should create and maintain a strong password to help ensure the security of your account.
We try to ensure that our Platforms and information sent to us are safe, but no security measures are perfect.
SRCD uses certain physical, managerial, and technical safeguards designed to preserve the integrity and security of your Personal Information and other information we maintain in connection with our Platforms. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of the information you transmit to SRCD, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission of information, SRCD makes commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the security of our systems. When you enter sensitive information, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL) or similar technologies. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. If information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and will notify you of the security incident in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
9. Non-U.S.-based Users
Our Platforms are currently operated and managed on servers located within the United States. If you choose to use our Platforms from the European Union or other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that differ from United States law, then you acknowledge that SRCD will transfer your personal information to the United States for the purpose of performing the services according to the agreed upon terms and for other purpose for which you provide explicit, informed consent.
10. European Union Data Protection
Residents of the European Union are entitled to certain rights with respect to personal information that we hold about them which are consistent with the above-listed policies. These rights include:
- Right of access and portability. The right to obtain access to your personal information, along with certain related information, and to receive that information in a commonly used format and to have it transferred to another data controller;
- Right to rectification. The right to obtain rectification of your personal information without undue delay where that personal information is inaccurate or incomplete;
- Right to erasure. The right to obtain the erasure of your personal information without undue delay in certain circumstances, such as where the personal information is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which it was collected or processed;
- Right to restriction. The right to obtain the restriction of the processing undertaken by us on your personal information in certain circumstances, such as where the accuracy of the personal information is contested by you, for a period enabling us to verify the accuracy of that personal information; and
- Right to object. The right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, to the processing of your personal information, and to object to processing of your personal information for direct marketing purposes, to the extent it is related to such direct marketing.
You may also have the right to make a complaint to the relevant Supervisory Authority. A list of Supervisory Authorities is available here: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/index_en.htm. If you need further assistance regarding your rights, please contact us using the contact information provided at the end of this document and we will consider your request in accordance with applicable law. In some cases, our ability to uphold these rights for you may depend upon our obligations to process personal information for security, safety, fraud prevention reasons, compliance with regulatory or legal requirements, or because processing is necessary to deliver the services you have requested. Where this is the case, we will inform you of specific details in response to your request.
11. Links to other sites
13. Contacting SRCD
Please contact SRCD with any questions or comments.
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By phone: (202) 800-0677
- By mail: SRCD, 1825 K Street, NW, Suite 325, Washington, DC. 20006