Call for Participants for the
SRCD Scholar Development Program
The Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD) seeks participants for its 2019 Scholar Development Program (SDP). This program aims to bolster opportunities for both research funding and professional leadership among early- to mid-career Black/African American faculty. The program provides a set of targeted mentoring activities addressing academic leadership and NIH research funding
Recognizing the persistent gap between Black/African American investigators and those from other racial-ethnic groups in federal funding rates, the SDP—now embarking in its second year—focuses on the NIH R01 funding mechanism as a key pathway to prominence in scholarship and leadership. The SDP is one of several SRCD initiatives building on the Society’s commitment to diversity as part of its strategic goals.
Participants in the program will work with a mentor to develop an R01 proposal to one of the programs within the National Institutes of Health. In addition to developing a proposal, scholars will work with mentors on professional development and academic leadership. The Scholar Development Program will provide constructive networking opportunities that will foster scholars’ professional success and open up new opportunities to assume leadership positions. We will be selecting 12 Scholars for the 2019 program.
Applications Deadline: Wednesday, April 24, 2019, 11:59 PM ET
(The deadline has passed. We are no longer accepting applications for the 2019 SRCD Scholar Development Program.)
All applicants are required to have a complete draft of an R01 proposal to be eligible for consideration. Selection criteria for participation will include:
- Strength and promise of the proposal draft
- Leadership promise as indexed by engagement in national/international societies and leadership roles within the applicant’s institution
- Indicators of scholarly promise including high impact publications and presentations, awards
- Membership in SRCD
- Applicant has not been (co-)PI on a major NIH award (e.g., R01, K-series. R03 and R21 are okay.)
- Applicant is of African/African American descent
- Copy of feedback-ready R01 draft proposal (PDF or Microsoft Word)
- Resume or CV (PDF or Microsoft Word)
- 2 letters of support speaking to the candidate's promise and the impact participation would have on their career (PDF only)
If selected, scholars commit to:
- Participate in virtual mentoring meetings from May 2019 - January 2020
- Attend a two-day grant writing workshop along with mentors in the summer of 2019
- Work with mentors to develop and submit an R01 proposal by March 2020
- Participate in an in-person reunion meeting January 2020.
SRCD will cover all travel expenses.
The SDP is coordinated by SRCD and funded by the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation.
Questions? Please contact Gabby Galeano at firstname.lastname@example.org.