Call for Mentors for the SRCD Scholar Development Program
The Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD) seeks mentors for its 2019 Scholar Development Program (SDP). This program aims to bolster opportunities for both research funding and professional leadership among early- to mid-career Black/African American faculty. The program provides a set of targeted mentoring activities addressing academic leadership and NIH research funding.
Recognizing the persistent gap between Black/African American investigators and those from other racial-ethnic groups in federal funding rates, the SDP focuses on the National Institutes of Health (NIH) R01 funding mechanism as a key pathway to prominence in scholarship and leadership. The SDP is one of several SRCD initiatives building on the Society’s commitment to diversity as part of its strategic goals.
With this call we are soliciting mentors for the program. A separate call for scholar-mentees will follow early in 2019. We will be selecting six (6) mentors for the 2019 program.
How to apply:
If you are interested in being a mentor, please email scholar[at]srcd.org with a brief statement of qualifications/interest. Emailed statements are due Monday, January 28, 2019, 11:59 PM ET.
Eligible mentor candidates will:
- Be SRCD members by the time of the 2019 Biennial Meeting
- Have a history of success at obtaining R01 funding
- Have reviewing experience on NIH study sections
- Be dedicated to mentoring and committed to cultivating leadership on diversity/inclusivity initiatives
If selected, mentors commit to:
- Work to support two mentees throughout the course of the program year
- Attend a day long, in-person mentor training program in the Spring of 2019
- Attend a two-day grant writing workshop along with mentees in the summer of 2019
- Provide feedback to mentees on their complete draft of an R01 proposal
- Follow a structured schedule of mentor-mentee engagement over the course of the year
SRCD will cover all travel expenses, and provide a $1500 honorarium for mentors.
Questions? Please email them to scholar[at]srcd.org.
The Scholar Development Program is coordinated by SRCD and funded by the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation.