2019 Small Grants Program for Early Career Scholars
The Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD) is pleased to announce its second annual Small Grants Program for Early Career Scholars. These small grants are available to support pilot or small-scale research projects by early career scholars (no more than five years or less since completion of terminal degree).
Supporting the Next Generation of Scholars
The years immediately following completion of the terminal degree are critical for scholars launching their own independent program of research. However, availability of funding to initiate exploratory, pilot, or extension research on which a new research program can build, varies depending on the position and institution of the researcher.
- One facet of SRCD’s Strategic Plan is capacity building—supporting the next generation of scholars is fundamental to building capacity for the future of developmental science.
- The Small Grants Program for Early Career Scholars launched in 2018 and, along with SRCD’s Dissertation funding awards, reflects SRCD’s commitment to supporting the scholarship of tomorrow’s leaders.
Grants of up to $7,500 are available on a competitive basis for research projects conducted by SRCD Early Career Members who completed their degrees in the past five years, regardless of their appointment, institution or country of residence.
The funding priorities for these grants include a proposed project that:
- Exemplifies exceptional scientific merit,
- Will contribute to the applicant’s competitiveness for external funding and/or career advancement, and
- Furthers SRCD’s strategic goals.
Past Recipients of the Small Grants Program for Early Career Scholars
2019 Application Information
Proposals must be submitted by 5:00 PM ET on Friday, February 1, 2019 via SRCD's application portal. Decision notifications will be sent out via email by the end of April. Please note updated decision notification timing. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Eligibility and Evaluation Criteria
Applicants must be SRCD members conducting child development research and must have completed the terminal degree no earlier than January 1, 2014 and/or will have completed the degree no later than June 1, 2019. Proposals are welcome from eligible applicants regardless of the nature of the appointment (faculty, post-doc, research scientist, etc.), type of institution, or country of residence, provided that the employer has the infrastructure to oversee fund dispersal and IRB/IACUC (or equivalent) review.
Proposals from eligible applicants (see above) will be reviewed for:
- Scientific merit (including degree of innovation and feasibility),
- Impact of the funds on the applicant’s research program/professional development, and
- Relevance of proposed activity to SRCD’s strategic goals.
1. Applicant information to be submitted via the application portal.
2. Description of proposed research (Microsoft Word). Criteria includes:
• Word limit of 1000 words, excluding references
• Overview of research question, motivation, and hypotheses,
• Description of method or approach,
• Planned activity with the small grant,
• Anticipated impact of the grant (e.g., pilot data for a grant proposal, publishable manuscript; placement or promotion of the applicant), and
• Relevance of proposed activity to SRCD’s strategic priorities.
3. Itemized budget and budget justification (PDF or Microsoft Word)
4. CV (PDF or Microsoft Word)
All components of the proposal package must be submitted through the application portal for the proposal to be reviewed.
For inquiries, please contact scholar[at]srcd.org.