Policy Efforts in 2024
How We Serve Our Members
We do that by working with dozens of other societies and organizations, in coalition. We regularly meet with U.S. federal officials and members of U.S. Congress. We sign on to letters, respond to federal-level calls for information, nominate SRCD members to federal positions and more.
Our members helped identify our top policy priority areas for policy, which include:
- Science funding: Promote robust and sustained funding for scientific and research programs, allocated by Congress and administered by the Institute for Education Sciences, National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, and other agencies that support child development research.
- Scientific workforce: Strengthen federal legislation, policies, and regulations that will enable the scientific workforce to operate, with a particular focus on issues of diversity, equity, and inclusivity.
- Early Care and Education: Support evidence-based federal legislation, policies, and regulation in Early Care and Education that impact children zero to five.
- Child and adolescent mental health: Support evidence-based federal legislation, policies, and regulations that impact child and adolescent mental health.
Here Are Our 2024 Public Letters:
Request and Support for Federal Funding
- Coalition Letter in Support of Funding for Non-Defense Programs in Final FY24
NDD Programs for FY24 (January 8)
- Coalition Letter to Reauthorize and Include PREEMIE Act & PMDA in Final FY24
PREEMIE Act & PMDA in FY24 (January 17)
- Friends of IES Letter Coalition Letter in Support of IES Funding for in Final FY24
Friends of IES in Support of IES Funding FY24 (February 5)
- Coalition Letter in Support of Funding for NIJ and BJS in Final FY24
Support of Funding for NIJ and BJS FY24 (February 7)
Changes to Federal Programs
- Supporting the Head Start Workforce and Consistent Quality Programing
SRCD's Response to OHS NPRM on Head Start (January 19)
Responses to Specific Programs and Policies
- Amicus Brief, Texas vs. United States
TX v. US Amicus Brief (February 1)
Check back for updates and more sign on letters regarding policies and practices impacting our scientific community's ability to fund, conduct, publish, and disseminate its research.
You can find the 2023 sign on letters here.
Our Coalitions and Friends Groups:
SRCD is part of the following coalition groups, and we bring our members news, updates, and actions from these partnerships:
- Consortium of Social Science Associations (COSSA)
- Federation of Associations in Behavioral and Brain Sciences (FABBS)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)’s Science and Human Rights Coalition
- Research America
- Coalition for National Science Funding (CNSF)
- Ad Hoc Group for Medical Research
- Friends of National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD)
- Friends of National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- Friends of Institute for Education Sciences (IES)
For questions and concerns, please contact the Policy Department at email@example.com.
Last updated January 26, 2024.